Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Im Mak

I think I gained about 10 pounds in 2 days. No joke.  I don’t think I have ever eaten so much good food in my life.

The semester is coming to an end and it will soon be time for me to leave U-thong. Olivia, Elana and I decided we wanted to take our teacher friends out to dinner as a thank you for everything they have done for us this semester. We invited our coordinators Nu, and Jeab, and our friends Tu, Wonchai and Bua to dinner at Tu’s family restaurant. We have become quite close with these teachers over the past few months and they have been so wonderful to us; driving us to Tesco, taking us on random adventures, and treating us to so many lunches and dinners I can’t even keep track. They are all such wonderful people and I can’t imagine my experience in Thailand without them.  

Dinner was “aroi mak” (very delicious) and I absolutely stuffed myself on fried fish, tom yum soup, gang leang(sp?) soup, and a salty fruit salad. Soooo good. The conversation at dinner may have seemed a little odd to an outsider. The farang were attempting to talk in Thai and the Thai teachers were practicing their broken English, yet somehow it worked and there was laughter and smiles all around. The teachers tried to teach us some new Thai words, none of which I can remember (dang, I need to be better about writing these things down). The one phrase I do remember: “Im mak” meaning very full.  

The next night Olivia and I were invited out for dinner by two teachers P Meow (I love her name!) and Petah (?). We went to this amazing restaurant that I didn’t even know existed (funny how we find all these new places right before we leave). The teachers speak pretty rough English, but I could tell they were so excited to be out with the foreign teachers so they could practice. As soon as we sat down a big clay pot with burning hot coals was set down in front of us. Along with a bowl of raw pork, some veggies, noodles, and a few spices. Everything we needed to begin our “hot pot” dinner. The teachers started by adding the broth and various ingredients into the bowl that was warming over the coals and we began to cook our meat. Seriously one of the best meals I have ever had. I could not stop eating. The teachers got a kick out of me saying “Im mak” every time they tried to put more food on my plate.       

Two great meals spent with great company. I’m a pretty happy (and full) girl. J

No comments:

Post a Comment