Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Channeling My Inner Thai Chef

Wednesday I had the day off due to Chinese New Year. Olivia and I decided to head to Bangkok to take a cooking class and check out China Town.

The cooking class was so much fun. The class started with a field trip to a local market where we were able to pick up all of the fresh produce that we needed to make our dishes. On the menu: spring rolls, pad thai, som tom (papaya salad), masaman curry and fried banana with coconut ice cream These are some of my favorite dishes here in Thailand so I was really excited to learn how to cook them!

As some of you may know, I am not the best cook in the world. I was a little worried about trying to learn how to cook Thai food. There are so many ingredients that I am not familiar with and it all seems so complicated. Luckily, a friend recommended a great cooking school. Our instructor was awesome. Not only was he absolutely hilarious, he was knowledgeable and helpful.  I learned a lot about different spices and different chilies used in Thai cooking and learned the proper techniques for making som tom and curry paste. We got to eat all of the dishes we cooked and I have to say they all turned out really well. We got to keep the recipes so I am excited to try to re-create the dishes at home for my friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment