Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Home Sweet Home

For the last few days I have been trying to write my final post. Its hard for me to put into words what I feel about my experience and how I feel about being home. It is great to be home. I can’t wait to catch up with my family and friends but I know its going to be an adjustment. I felt a little bit of culture shock just trying to get through the airport in San Francisco. There are so many things I am going to miss about Thailand and SE Asia.  Being back in America feels so different already.

Where are all the motorbikes?
What do you mean I can’t get a meal for a dollar?
Everyone here speaks English! People can actually understand me!
I no longer have to carry around toilet paper and hand sanitizer everywhere I go.
There are other tall people… with blonde hair!
What happened to all the fresh produce markets?
I am no longer a sweaty mess ALL the time! 

Things I won’t miss about Thailand
-squat toilets
-bugs!
-not being about to speak the language
-the weather. It’s too hot!
-the dogs
-not being able to buy clothes that fit!
-being stared at constantly


Things I will miss about Thailand
-the people
-the food!!
-U-Thong
-public transportation
-coconut ice cream
-drinking a 5 baht soda out of a plastic bag
-7-11
-hearing the word “farang”
-the friends I made
-beautiful beaches
-fresh fruit
-mai pen rai attitude
-simplicity of life 

My journey was absolutely amazing and I wouldn’t have changed anything about it. I am so grateful that I was able to have this experience. It is going to take a while to adjust back to life in America but for now I am happy for some clean clothes, a nice western meal, and my own bed to sleep in! J

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged the find the ways in which you yourself have altered"
-Nelson Mandela


Thanks to all of you who followed my blog!  Stay tuned for my next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment