Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Neung, Song, Saam...Cha Cha Cha

Salsa Dancing. One thing I definitely did not expect to do in Thailand.  Yet somehow I found myself learning the Cha Cha and various other Latin inspired dances from my Thai teachers at a two week late New Years party. Thailand continues to surprise me.

Our teacher friend Tu invited us to a party at her family restaurant to celebrate “New Year”. (I hope she realizes she was a little late!)  Tu had told us that there would be “dancing” and “singing”, which, if you have been reading my posts, could mean any number of things. So again, I went to the party not really knowing what I was getting myself into.

The evening started off with a delicious six course meal. There were a few teachers from U-Thong school and a bunch of Tu’s friends from Suphanburi and surrounding areas. Dinner was fun and there was of course a lot of karaoke.  

After dinner Tu dragged me to the dance floor as they started playing Thai music with a definite Latin flare. Suddenly I found myself attempting to learn how to salsa dance. I was seriously shocked to see how good the teachers were at dancing. My jaw literally dropped as I watched them cha cha cha their way around the dance floor. The teachers were trying to teach me how to dance and I could not help but smile and laugh when they started counting out the steps in Thai. “Neung, song, saam…cha cha cha..”   The night was a lot of fun and not at all what I was expecting. Definitely a unique experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment