Monday, April 11, 2011

Feelin' Hot Hot Hot

In case you didn’t know, Thailand is hot. Very hot. Even during the “winter” season it was hot. Now I have approached summer in Thailand. April is supposed to be the hottest month and boy am I feeling it.

You know it’s hot when…..

-I find myself drenched in sweat before 10 am. (And I never sweat at home!)

-I’ve gotten accustomed to taking about 4 showers a day, just to cool off. Not having hot water? Not really a problem. Now I look forward to taking icy cold showers.

-I find myself drinking what seems like a gallon of water a day, just to stay hydrated. It is soon seeping out of my pores

-Putting on layers and layers of sunscreen is a normal daily routine. The sun is way more intense. Carrying a backpack with sunburned shoulders is not fun. Trust me.

-I can now understand why Thai people don’t walk. Anywhere. It’s too darn hot. After a 5 minute walk I am soaking wet and wishing I had a motorbike to drive me up the street.

-I can also see why Thai people, usually shop owners, are often seen napping in the middle of the day. I have found myself in a similar routine simply because it is too hot to do anything other than nap.

-I used to think that it was odd that the locals avoid the sun like the plague. Now I find myself walking out of my way to seek solace in the shade.

-One of my favorite things I have seen in Thailand was a family of four on a motorbike carrying umbrellas to shade themselves from the sun. I used to think people were ridiculous for carrying umbrellas. Its not raining. Now it seems like a pretty brilliant idea. You will know I have been in Thailand too long when I start carrying an umbrella for shade.

Well, it’s time to go take my 3rd shower of the day. I am sweating profusely just writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment