Thursday, October 21, 2010

Elephants and Bamboo

The group took a day trip to Kanchanaburi, a near by province. On the way there we stopped at the "bridge over the river Kwae" which is a famous bridge from World War II. The next morning we got up early and took a trip to the Tawanee Elephant Camp. Here we all got to ride an elephant! It was such an amazing experience! It was kind of scary too. I felt like I was going to fall off of it. We took a loop that brought us through the local village and down to the river. It was so much fun!

After riding the elephant we were loaded onto a truck and driven about a mile to the river where they had local Thai guides ready with bamboo rafts. We loaded on to the rafts (about 6 of us on each one) and we just floated down the river. It was so peaceful and the scenery was amazing! We got to jump in the shallow parts of the river which was nice and refreshing on such a hot day. It was also the first day of true sunshine we've had since I have been here. Overall the whole morning was amazing. I am so lucky to have had both these experiences. I would really like to come back to Kanchanaburi. It is close to U-Thong where I will be living.

After riding elephants and bamboo rafting we were taken back to the hotel where our school coordinators were waiting to pick us up. It was kind of sad to say good-bye to the group. I met some really great people that I hope I will stay in touch with (and travel with). 

Pictures are coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. You have already gotten to ride an elephant! You got that one off the checklist early my dear... that is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete