Thursday, October 21, 2010

U-Thong School

So I arrived in U-thong on Tuesday afternoon. My school coordinator is wonderful and she took me and the other two teachers to the market so we could buy everything that we needed. She showed us around the town a little bit and then took us out to eat. On Wednesday I was able to take a tour of the school. The house where I will be living is about 1 minute walk from the school which is great! I am living in a little house by myself at the moment. It has everything that I need including a washer and dryer and hot water for showers! Amazing. I will eventually be sharing the house with another teacher from China. She is coming to teach Chinese at the school. Apparently there is a large Chinese population in U-Thong...

The school is huge and there are about 3,000 students. I got to see where my classes were going to be and we met the vice directors (there are 4). Everyone I have met here so far has been so friendly and accommodating. A few of  the Thai teachers speak English but most do not. It was really interesting walking by the students because they literally stopped and stared at me like I was an alien. My coordinator told me that they view us as celebrities because there are not a lot of foreigners in U-Thong. The kids here are SO cute and they are so curious about us. Totally bizarre. I will be teaching mateum(sp?) 2 and 5. Mateum 2 is 13-14 year olds and mateum 5 is 16-17. I am excited to find out their level of English. I will be teaching about 18 classes a week, all with 55+ students. Its going to be intense! Can't wait for the first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment