Thursday, October 21, 2010

Good Morning Teacher

I had my first day of class today! It was pretty crazy. I had three different classes. The first class was great. I was surprised by their level of English. They knew a lot more words than I was expecting (although I was teaching pretty basic stuff). It is so weird to be teaching over 50 kids in one class! When I walked in the door all of the kids stood up and said "good morning teacher". My second class was awful. The kids were really "naughty" (as all the teachers keep saying). The kids literally just talk through class and don't pay attention to what the teacher is doing. I think that this is pretty common, even with the Thai teachers. It is extremely difficult to control the class and keep their interest when there are so many of them. That was a pretty tough class. All the good girls sat in the front and all the loud rowdy boys sat in the back. I did my best to try to include all of the students but it is definitely going to be a challenge. My third class was great. They are so funny! They thought it was absolutely hilarious when I tried to pronounce their name (they all have Thai nicknames because their real names are ridiculously long.) Even their nicknames were hard to pronounce! They thought it was funny and they were teasing me all of class. They are really cute kids. Later after school I was walking by some students and they all said "Hello my name is" and then ran away laughing. I think it is going to be difficult but I also think it is going to be a lot of fun. I am glad that I got my first day out of the way and now I have a better feel for what I am supposed to be doing. Thai schools have WAY less structure than American schools which is going to take some getting used to. Overall a pretty good first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment